The Oddfellows Hall in Covington, Kentucky was originally built in 1856. This was a complete renovation of a significant structure listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The building was weeks away from the start of construction on a major renovation when historic structure was completely gutted by a fire. A complete interior and partial exterior rebuild was required to bring it back to its previous glory.
One of the most devastating historical losses was the remarkable assembly hall located on the second floor with its suspended ceiling supported by iron tension rods from the timber roof structure. Additional historical losses included the signatures and graffiti from confederate soldiers briefly held there upon their capture in the area during the Civil War. The task of rebuilding had to begin by convincing the governing authorities that the remaining three walls were sound and prove that the exterior of the building could feasibly be restored. The developers persevered and the remaining exterior walls were temporarily supported and thus began the restoration of the exterior. Changes in the building code required the extensive updates to the existing structural foundations. A steel ‘cage’ was erected within the building perimeter to add additional support to the exterior walls, the new floor and roof construction. The restoration of the exterior also allowed the reconstruction of the roof to revert to the original roof slope and cornice configuration. The thoughtful design of the project ensures that one of the most historically and architecturally significant buildings in Northern Kentucky will remain a focal point and part of the image of Covington as one the gateways to the city for many years to come.